Friday, January 14, 2011

Roundabouts - Vaison-la-Romaine

We like the roundabouts in the Vaucluse. Many are beautifully landscaped, have some type of art form in the center of the roundabout or reflect something about the town or village where they are located. For the past few weeks, I have been posting pictures of different roundabouts in the Vaucluse. Today's roundabouts are in and around Vaison-la-Romaine.

Vaison-la-Romaine is ten kms north of where we live in Sablet and sits along the Ouvèze river which divides the town into two parts which are connected by a single arch Roman Bridge which has been used daily for more than 2000 years.

The medieval town or Haut Ville sits south of the Ouvèze river on a high rock beneath the ruins of the castle of the Counts of Toulouse. There are narrow cobblestone streets, small squares, and beautiful fountains in addition to the castle.

The main part of the town sits north of the Ouvèze river. There are shaded squares lined with terrace restaurants, shops of all kind, parking, and extensive Roman ruins. On Tuesday mornings, there is a wonderful market that spreads through the town that should not be missed.

There are four unique roundabouts in Vaison-la-Romaine. The first roundabout is located where the D 977 arrives in Vaison-la-Romaine near the Pont Neuf. I am not sure what this art form represents but it reminds me of the symbol for a treble clef key.


This roundabout with its symbolic Roman ruins is located on the north side of Vaison-la-Romaine where we pass through the roundabout on the way to shop at the Intermarché.


You will find this roundabout with its beautiful olive tree as you get to Vaison-la-Romaine on the D 975 road coming from the village of Roaix.


This roundabout can be found near where the Route de Villedieu and the D 975 come together on the north side of Vaison-la-Romaine. I am not sure what this art form depicts. For awhile I thought it was sculpted evergreen but I now I think it is poured concrete.


Check back to see other roundabouts that catch my eye in the Vaucluse. I will post these between my usual posts about our dining experiences, visits to interesting places and reflections on life in Provence.

Bonne journée et a bientôt

3 comments:

  1. I generally do not like "ronds-points" but those you show in your post do no look bad. You are so lucky to live between the two regions of the world that I like best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one with the big olive tree is my personal favorite roundabout in Vaison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie - We are very fortunate. We love the area around Montpellier too and looked up in some of the villages of the Pic St. Loup before we bought in Sablet.

    Barbara - That's my favorite one too.

    ReplyDelete